Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The News From South Carolina

It has truly been a crazy week!! I can't even believe it. It went by way fast too. Probably because last time I emailed was Tuesday... but it still seemed pretty fast.

Thanks for the letters. The emails were running a little low... but it's cool. I’m terrible at writing outside of my weekly email. I understand. I did however get a letter from the Goomi. Thanks Grandma and Grandpa! Sounds like you two are keeping busy and all is well with you. Thanks for the love. I’m sendin’ it right back!! Expect a letter soon.

We had a baptism this weekend!! S and D were baptized. We’ve been working with them with the English elders who work downtown. Looking at their teaching record, they've been taught a lot and for a long time. The hold up was the dad. It seemed like ever since we got here though, the dad calmed down. He’s been way cool. He let them get baptized. Now everyone in that house, including his mom and sister and his girls, are members except for him. He does come to church and everything. So we shall see.

The baptismal service went really well. The girls speak both Spanish and English. The dad requested the service to be in Spanish - so we had it in Spanish. The girls asked Elder R to baptize them because he is brand new. hahaha A greeny! The funny part though is that he's an English elder and had to do the prayer in Spanish. I had taught him this past week and he had it down. I was impressed (sounded a bit hick though. haha)

The bishop of their ward (downtown, Columbia 1st Ward) doesn’t speak Spanish - so I ended up conducting the meeting. The girls' aunt got sick so I gave the talk on baptism too. It was really cool though. The girls came up to me after and were so excited. They ran up and hugged me. Don't mean to sound conceited but... I am their favorite. I sing them awesome Spanish songs and say funny Spanish jokes. They are a good family. The dad pulled me aside afterwards and invited all four of us elders over for tamales later that night. It was a way good day.

I went on exchanges with one of my zone leaders today. I got a lot of good training to be a better missionary and a better leader. Elder P is the man.

We found a new family - six people! They are way cool.

I got a letter in the mail from M in Goose Creek. She said that everything is great and that their family really misses me. She said the visits from the missionaries just aren't the same. And that I am F's and H’s best friend. The boys are in Puerto Rico this summer. It was a really good letter. They sound like they are still so solid. I will be able to go to the temple with them next year. I’m looking forward to that.

Well, that is about it. I think I crammed everything in. It was an amazing week. I love you all. Talk to you soon!

Elder Stoneman

No comments:

Post a Comment